infamous Walking Purchase of 1737, German immigrants arriving in
Philadelphia flocked to the valley (then part of Bucks County)
seeking unoccupied land upon which to settle and farm. During the
late 1730’s and 1740’s, the immigrants settled the valley areas (then
known as “the back parts of Macungie” or “the Heidelberg district”).
The Coplay Creek watershed was settled in this period, because its
fertile, well-watered soil and forested land was recognized as
potentially excellent farmland. Thus, between 1735 and 1750 the
progenitors of such Pennsylvania German families as Stechel, Balliet,
Bear, Wotring, etc., settled within the Coplay Creek watershed. By
the early 1750’s a sufficient number of settlers lived in the valley
so that a new county (called Northampton) was created from the
northern parts of Bucks County including the Lehigh Valley.